Home › Forums › Word of the Week › Sessions › Sunday January 8: Going Home by Another Way
- This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 months, 1 week ago by linda rhead.
- Sunday January 8: Going Home by Another Way
- This week, walk home from a place you usually visit by another way. What do you notice?
- As an Epiphany gift, here is James Taylor’s musical version of Home By Another Way, which you can listen to here.
You may wish to re-read the full reflection here: https://mailchi.mp/coutreach/word-of-the-week-jan8
Please consider donating to support the Word of the Week program. Any amount is greatly appreciated.
- Posted by tcf2_comcast_net on January 8, 2023 at 2:33 pm #131046
- Posted by Susan Kenney on January 8, 2023 at 5:56 pm #131055
Like Herod, we often protect our way of life, our sense of security. We might not use physical violence, but we often find fault with those who are poor, unhoused, suffer from addiction or mental illness. We look away when we happened upon them. We try to convince ourselves that they are not like us. Can we go another way? See the “other” differently, walk by places where they are, greet them, look at them? Here in Sacrsmento about 350,000 are without power. Our privileged way of life blown away with the wind.
- Posted by Adeline Behm on January 14, 2023 at 5:05 pm #131493
This has been a week where I felt held in the depths of my being. The image captured my attention. I got out a magnifying lens to peer in the depths only to find myself. Eighty nine years ago at 8 months I didn’t question the star within I was content to be loved into being, first daughter, first grand daughter. Today 89 years later the luminous figure on the donkey is me enveloped and guided by the light of the star. Surprisingly I am, too, the donkey, the being that carries a lot of other people’s stuff, often taken for granted, at the beck and call of others. Reminds me of the role of Joseph in the Incarnational unfolding. The tall figures are all my invisible support, such as this centering prayer community. Thanks for helping me recognize the star.
- This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Adeline Behm.
- Posted by linda rhead on January 17, 2023 at 11:13 pm #131658
Sunday January 8: Going Home By Another Way
“To dream another way…for gifts of human treasure not used for the tyranny of tribe, class, nation or ego.” Why is the word “tyranny” drawing my attention? Herod served as the “archetype of the level of consciousness willing to use brutality to maintain power.” What of the tyranny of my own mind, too easily willing to reject those who do not measure up to my standards? Forgive me, Lord, for I have sinned. Free me from the tyranny of myself. May it be so. <3 linda
- This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by linda rhead.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.