You are here
United in Prayer Day 2018 -- Dedicated to Healing Violence
Saturday March 17, 2018
Dedicated to Healing Violence
A creative vision releases an enormous amount of energy
and can transform society beyond our wildest dreams.
Divine empowerment is present.
... The power of the stars is nothing compared to the energy
of a person whose will has been freed from the false-self system
and who is thus enabled to co-create the cosmos together
with God. God’s top priority is the creation of a world
in which the goods of the earth are equitably distributed,
where no one is forgotten or left out,
and where no one can rest until everyone has enough to eat,
the oppressed have been liberated, and justice and peace
are the norm among the nations and religions of the world.
Until then, even the joy of transforming union is incomplete.
The commitment to the spiritual journey is not a commitment to pure joy,
but to taking responsibility for the whole human family,
its needs and destiny. We are not our own; we belong to everyone else.
- Thomas Keating, The Mystery of Christ
Blessed are the peacemakers
for they will be recognized as children of God.
- Matthew 5: 9
Celebrate this 26th annual worldwide day of prayer in three ways:
- Attend a local group retreat. Check these local websites for event information. Here is a sample schedule to assist planning for a group retreat. Download Group Schedule
- Organize your own in-home retreat. Here is a sample schedule to assist planning for an individual retreat. Download Schedule
- A 24-hour, worldwide silent prayer vigil will be hosted on March 16-17 dedicated to healing the violence within ourselves and the world. All are welcome to sign-up for 30-minute prayer periods, either as individuals or in groups. Online sign-up coming soon!
We offer three suggestions for spiritual enrichment:
- an audio interview mp3 download with Sr. Mary Margaret (Meg) Funk on "The Practice of Renouncing Violence” (about 34 minutes). Free; suggested donation $10. A transcript with a bio of Sr. Meg is also provided.
- an online video segment with Thomas Keating on “Human Evolution” from the God is Love video series (about 27 minutes).
- An mp4 of this individual segment is available in the store.
- An mp4 of this segment with Spanish subtitles is also available here.
- or, choose a video segment from the Part II of the Spiritual Journey series on the Human Condition, in the support of the emphasis this entire year on formation in the contemplative journey. The suggested section is from “Frustrations Caused by the Emotional Programs,” starting from about 19 minutes and ending around 41 minutes (about 22 minutes in length). Or choose another section.
Please donate to support the sharing of Centering Prayer around the world.
Suggested donation $10.
If you have any questions, please email Pamela Begeman, email@example.com.